Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I was a teen mom....

but I don't promote it as a good thing. I don't complain or think bad of teen mothers, but I think these shows like "16 & Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" are encouraging it. Girls have gotten pregnant on purpose at a young age for a lesser reason than being on MTV! Don't think I'm bashing teen moms, I was one. It was hard, but I wouldn't change it for anything in this world. I just feel like its saying "hey, if you get pregnant at 16 we'll put you on TV!!" Not "all" teenagers are mature enough to think past that. I did get pregnant at 18, 2 months after I graduated high school!! I loved my husband (not married at the time), I had a supportive family, and before she came, I had a lot of love and help. I was lucky, a lot of teen moms don't even have that. I just can't bring myself to watch those shows and help in their ratings. I've watched ONE "16 & Pregnant" and it was a re-run of the girl who gave her baby up for adoption. There was so much talk, I had to see. I also watched the reunion, which brought on my gag reflex. Some of the things they were saying... I dunno.... I don't "motherhood compete" w/ people, and I never bash anyone's parenting styles, so don't think thats what I'm doing. I'm merely stating my opinions that these shows aren't "opening teenagers eyes and showing them how hard it is to be pregnant and have a baby", its enticing some of them... who wouldn't want to be on MTV at 15 or 16?!?!

Enough of my opinions. I've been holding that in for a while. haha. Anyways, todays picture. :) Not "new" , my camera's dead again, so just one I love. :)



5 comments:

  1. ITA. I could go on, but I won't. Cute pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% and although I'm sure I could get addicted to yet another reality tv show, that's one I don't want to be addicted to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. I'm sure its a great show I could really get into. I just feel like its sending the wrong message. In its defense, I don't think its trying to, I'm sure its trying to send the opposite message. But they forget the group they're targeting. The group where 15 yr olds get pregnant to keep their high school crushes. Famous TV star... boyfriend... which is more enticing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just what you mean Heather. I truly hate those shows. On the one hand they make it seem cool to get pregnant as a teen, and on another they tend to show teenagers who just don't take it as seriously as they should. Its all "oh, wow, look at me I'm pregnant, but I don't want to stop living the way I want to." Its more than just that its like they don't take it as seriously as they should. I got pregnant twice as a teen, and the only thing I can hope is that my younger sisters learned from me, and while I don't consider my boys mistakes, I don't want my sisters going through the same things I have.

    ReplyDelete